Let hot tea season commence! Drink up!
Pictures taken 10.31.19 at Light of Day farm,
"Fall, leaves, fall; die, flowers, away;
Lengthen night and shorten day;
Every leaf speaks bliss to me
Fluttering from the autumn tree.
I shall smile when wreaths of snow
Blossom where the rose should grow;
I shall sing when night’s decay
Ushers in a drearier day."
shown here is our yummy Heartwarming Cinnamon
After the playful rush of summer, fall settles in and allows us to breathe once again taking more time to simply just... be. We welcome the changes as the days have slowly gotten shorter, and the breeze brings a new coolness to the air. A multitude of tracks in the freshly fallen snow tell us that all the resident critters here on the farm are busying about preparing for the cooler days to come. The heartbeat of the farm has slowed down taking a big, long inhale.
Our current "Long weekend" Store Hours:
Picture taken 10/31/19
Now is a wonderful time to prepare for the upcoming holiday gatherings! We have gift certificates that are great for hostess and teacher gifts, as well as a nice gift bundle with our new gift boxes and gift bags available in the tea shop.
For example, Have you seen our Chakra Tea Sampler Deluxe Box Set? This is a great gift for yourself or a friend available or in our tea shop or online.
They'll think of you with every delicious sip...
Pictured here is our "Chakra Tea Sampler Deluxe Box Set"
Another gifting favorite is the Light of Day mug with our logo embossed infuser which can also come as a gift bundle with our best-selling, multiple award-winning Creamy Earl Grey!
Pictured here is our "Creamy Earl Grey & a Mug" gift set
November's selection of festive teas for our legendary
Saturday Tea Flights Menu :
On SATURDAYS from 11am - 4pm we offer a full flight of Tea guided joyfully by one of our friendly & knowledgeable Tea-evangelists for just $10. "What's a Flight of Tea" you ask? Our Flight of Tea is intended to allow you & a pal to belly-up to our Tea Bar and experience a tea from each category we sell, a White, Green, Oolong & Black Tea, a Tisane AND top it off with an enlivening shot of Matcha smoothie (Pineapple/ coconut smoothie).
Here is this month's line up & Educational Information about the ingredients within the offerings:White Tea: Enlightened White
100% Certified Organic Ingredients: White Tea buds and leaves, Tangerine, Orange, Lotus petalsBlender's Notes: A lightly colored infusion of delicate new growth tea leaves and subtle citrus notes. White tea grown here on our certified Biodynamic farm is used in this special blend. Naturally lightly-caffeinated.
Educational Information for "Enlightened White"
Green Tea: Genmai-cha100% Certified Organic Ingredients: Green Tea, Puffed Rice
- WHITE TEA BUDS AND LEAVES - Diseases and medical conditions are mainly caused by pathogens, which attack the immune system making it difficult for the body to operate at a normal capacity. White tea has antibacterial properties which can protect our skin from bacteria and other germs.
- TANGERINE- provide a good variety of nutrients, including potassium, thiamin and folate. Tangerines contain more vitamin A than oranges, though oranges are lower in calories and higher in vitamin C and fiber
- ORANGE - The antioxidant vitamin C, when eaten in its natural form (as in an orange) or applied topically, can help to fight skin damage caused by the sun and pollution, reduce wrinkles and improve overall skin texture. Vitamin C plays a vital role in the formation of collagen, the support system of your skin
- LOTUS PETALS- relaxing, soothing, with sedative qualities can help with anxiety… and bringing about that peaceful-loving feeling.
Blender’s Notes: This is a certified organic steamed Sencha tea base, with toasted and puffed rice. This toasty-reminiscent of popcorn-y blend has really endeared itself to us
Educational Information for "Genmai-cha"
Oolong: Black Oolong
- SENCHA GREEN TEA - Green Tea possesses a high content of antioxidants and polyphenols, known for neutralizing the potentially harmful effects of free radicals.
- RICE - Brown rice contains selenium, an important mineral, it has shown promise in research for potentially help regulating thyroid hormones and cholesterol levels.
100% Certified Organic Ingredients: Oolong Tea
Blender's Notes: This is our farm’s “Black” Oolong- very dark wirey Shui Xang-style leaf. Dark brown, smooth, toasty liquor. Caffeinated. Outstanding!
Educational Information for "Black Oolong"
Black: Honu Chai100% Certified Organic Ingredients:
- OOLONG TEA - Oolong tea can even be excellent for aiding specific health conditions when combined with treatment, such as helping to lower high blood pressure in a more natural way, or helping to lower the levels of cholesterol in your blood.
Black Tea, Ginger, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Vanilla bean extract, Clove, Raw Cane Sugar, Maple syrup bits
Blender's Notes: All infused with our farm’s secret Chai recipe. Loads of Cinnamon and Vanilla! May be enjoyed “as is” or with a touch of Coconut cream, Rice or Soy milk. Delicious! A nice choice for an afternoon pick ‘r upper! Mmm!
EDUCATIONAL INFORMATION For "Honu Chai"
Tisane: Mitten-time Mint100% Certified Organic Ingredients: Rooibos, Peppermint, Cacao, Apple
- BLACK TEA - Black tea is also full of healthy substances called polyphenols. Polyphenols are antioxidants that can help protect your cells from DNA damage.
- GINGER - has a very long history of use in various forms of traditional/alternative medicine. It has been used to help digestion, reduce nausea and help fight the flu and common cold
- CINNAMON - contains large amounts of highly potent polyphenol antioxidants. believed to balance the spleen, kidney, heart, and liver meridians and to stimulate circulation and the movement of 'chi' or energy. It is considered to be warming to the kidneys and is particularly useful in cold or stagnant conditions
- CARDAMOM - may help lower blood pressure, most likely due to its antioxidant and diuretic properties.
- VANILLA BEAN EXTRACT - Natural vanilla extract contains numerous antioxidants, including vanillic acid and vanillin. Science has demonstrated that antioxidants protect your body from damage from harmful components, such as free radicals and toxins.
- CLOVE - contain fiber, vitamins and minerals, so using whole or ground cloves to add flavor to your food can provide some important nutrients, flavor and tantalizing aroma.
- RAW CANE SUGAR - is a coarse-textured granulated sugar with a light amber color and sparkly appearance. Its sweet flavor is slightly caramel-like.
- MAPLE SYRUP BITS - Consuming maple syrup which is high in antioxidant especially zinc, can help the body to build strong immune system and prevent from disease. An abundant sweetener that we suggest humans use in place of honey so that the honeybees can use the honey they produce to support their families over the wintertime.
Blender's Notes: This product was blended to taste like our favorite cookie of all time…the Girl Scout Thin Mint. and we think we nailed it! A popular dessert tea, this one is just heavenly.
Educational Information for "Mitten-time Mint"
- ROOIBOS - tea contains vital minerals including calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc and alpha hydroxyl acid. As with most true teas and herbal teas, it also contains high levels of vitamin C along with powerful antioxidants such as aspalathin that offer extensive health benefits.
- PEPPERMINT - may relieve digestive symptoms, such as gas, bloating and indigestion. Aroma is stimulating and enlivening.
- CACAO - earthy flavor balanced with a slight bitterness. The aroma is slightly dry with rich overtones. Unlike many chocolate products, cacao nibs are naturally low in sugar. They’re also a good source of fiber, protein, and healthy fats — nutrients that help promote feelings of fullness.
- APPLE - are loaded with vitamin C, especially in the skins, which are also full of fiber
100% Certified Organic Ingredients:
This 40 gram tin contains 40 (1 gram) servings. 1 gram is roughly a level 1/2 teaspoon.
Limited edition of the World’s finest certified 100% certified organic premium ceremonial grade Matcha Green tea. Strong and crisp- loaded with freshness and unique Green Tea anti-oxidants that researchers have been fascinated with and excited about. For Tea Ceremony- everyday! Highest amount of O.R.A.C units per gram (antioxidants) of any plant known to man. There are 20 servings per oz. (1/2 tsp. per person per day) with suggested serving size of 1/2 tsp. or 1 gram per person per serving. This is a real treasure- so nurture yourself today with this “drink of the Samurai!” Be sure to “subscribe” to our newsletter so that we can send you HEALTH file and recipes which includes good information about this special and historic drink.
Matcha, is a product that we could grow here at Light of Day Organics (because Tea is one of the botanicals that we grow- we have hoop houses full of tea plants!) but we do not currently own the equipment necessary to de-vein or to grind the Tencha leaf into a fine powder within the low oxygen laboratory setting it requires. Therefore, we rely on other certified organic farmers around the globe to grow to our guidelines and process to our standards this remarkable product for us. Because of concerns in the news re. radiation (in Japan) and heavy metal contamination (China), each batch of Matcha and the soils they are grown in are tested thoroughly to ensure that we are all enjoying the highest quality, safest matcha available to us today! We hope that you enjoy this product as much as we do!
We do offer our Matcha in CAPSULES too! Two capsules once a day is equivalent to the 1/2 tsp suggested serving size. These are great for those of use that may not always have the time to prepare the Matcha in a smoothie form.
The farm has already been kissed by its first BIG blanket of snow~
Light of Day’s Smokey Gluten Free & Vegan Lentil Stuffing
· 1 Cup dried green, brown or French lentils
· 1 Quart prepared Light of Day Organics Lapsang Souchong Tea
(2 tsp. of loose tea steeped in 1 quart of simmering water for 10 minutes)
· 1 Bay leaf
· 3 cups Rye Bread crumbs
· 1 small yellow onion, diced
· 3-4 ribs Celery, diced
· 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped Thyme
· 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ParsleyDirections:
· Add lentils, 3 cups liquid Lapsang Souchong Tea
and Bay Leaf to a small pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower to a gentle simmer and continue to cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
· Preheat oven to 350°F
· Combine all remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Once lentils are cooked add them, along with any liquid left in the pot, and mix well. If the mixture seems dry, add the rest of the remaining tea and mix.
· Place mixture in an oven-safe dish, cover and bake for 45 minutes.
· Next, remove the cover, bake for an additional 15 minutes, allowing the top layer to become golden brown.
· Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving. Serves 6Recipe contributed by Angela Macke.